Image Map

Friday 28 March 2014

African inspired masks

This is a quick post that I was going to do earlier in the week......but life got in the way as it does sometimes.  I have mentioned before that on Tuesdays I take a Year 4 class in the afternoons for Art.  This is an interesting time for me as I usually teach up to Grade 3 and no further.  So I have had to start to stretch my limits a little on what these kiddos can create.  Their class is currently studying the great continents of Africa and South America, so I have tried to link our art activities in with what they are doing in class with their regular teacher.
Here is what we have been up to!


These are masks they have designed inspired by some pictures that we looked at of some tribal masks.  They had to draw a plan first of what it would look like, then I showed them a few techniques to use with paper to create a 3D effect.  They have crimped, quilled, folded and fringed!  
Although they are not completely finished yet I think they are looking fantastic!

Oh by the way this is where I got my ideas from just click on the pic for the pin link

african masks with symmetry

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic art and a great start to my blog reading tonight. Thanks for the link!
    Have a great weekend.
    Julie
    Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

    ReplyDelete